greetings from sunny (and foggy) los angeles, ca


Hi, I'm heather. I like taking pictures. I take a lot of them. I stay up way too late. I wake up with my kids way too early (for me). Though slowly I'm learning that sleep is good.

I love photographing newborns, toddlers, kids (I've got two of my own), families, pets...you name it! Large groups and weddings make me way too nervous, but I'd be happy to refer you to other photographers in the area.

I love to hear your comments, so feel free to add to my blog by posting. Having a hard time remembering "umami?" Well, I wanted a name that would be easy to remember, spell and find, but apparently I did none of that, so if you'd like to get emails when I post, just add your email to the "subscribe here" box... you'll be the first to find out when I'll be offering mini sessions and other specials!

have a happy day... heather

2.24.2008

holy tornadoes batman!

Yes, you heard me... TORNADOES!!!! Right here a block from my house!!!

I was driving along PCH this morning enjoying being in the car by myself. I had my camera on the seat next to me since I was on my way back home from a photography convention (hold the nerd comments please) and I was looking for a spot to pull over to get some shots of these awesome storm clouds. Well, as I was stopped at a signal, this funnel caught my eye. I grabbed my camera (feeling like I was some superhero/photojournalist) and started shooting out my window. I mouthed to the guy in the Suburban next to me, "Is that a tornado?!" And even though he was talking on his cell phone, he nodded his head to me. Are we not an accident waiting to happen? The signal was still red thank goodness. Thoughts: I so wish I had my zoom on...oh well. Guess I'll just have to get closer. Ack!


Oh, those little white specks in the air that look like flying debris... I think those are seagulls... just flying around checking out the craziness.



The sky was so weird.... totally sunny over the beach in Santa Monica, and really dark and crazy over the hills of the Palisades.


So I am now driving into the freaky dark zone. The sky is really dark, but of course now I'm driving and can't really take a picture. I turn the corner and YIKES! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Visions of that movie "Twister" with Helen Hunt pop into my head...I'm like a tornado chaser only instead of special tornado measuring equipment, I'm only supplied with seat warmers and some baby wipes. So I sat there in the car at the stop sign taking pictures like a stupid tourist. At least I was pretty sure this tornado wouldn't be able to lift up the car...it was more like a tumble weed twister (I think, but of course I've never been to tornado school...I'm from California...we don't get tornadoes).


A bit further up the hill it almost looks like it's on fire, but it's just weird foggy clouds slithering their way over the mountain.


This is looking the other direction down the coast (note same white fence)... the sky is all blue and sunny. Oh yeah, that would be my neighbor's gargoyle.


So that was the excitement for the day. Back to the daily grind now... Jack's got his first ear infection and first case of bronchitis. Kaylie's got jack's fever and cough. Jack was off school all last week. My nose is running like a teething toddler's. Time for bed!

Have a great week everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Heather! I heard about the tornados from Eric's Uncle. Glad you are okay and those are some great pics. Now here I love where we get tons of tornados but still I have none.

Next time don't follow the twister, okay? I just love reading your blog and miss you!

Kristin

umami photography said...

Eric's uncle heard about the tornados? I didn't really watch the news too much (it was on Oscar night so they weren't covering much weather anyway), but I didn't hear of any mentions of it. Even most of my neighbors didn't know (though a couple saw the twister heading down the street). Don't worry... this one didn't look very strong... maybe relocated a pine cone or two. :) Hope you're getting some sleep!!!

Grandma Suzy said...

I tried to leave a comment awhile back, but having trouble getting my address verified. Finally had to change to a different one. I guess bigfoot is still having troubles.

Wow, that twister coming down Los Liones was pretty close! Hope it was going in the opposite direction! You're crazy.