greetings from sunny (and foggy) los angeles, ca


Hi, I'm heather. I like taking pictures. I take a lot of them. I stay up way too late. I wake up with my kids way too early (for me). Though slowly I'm learning that sleep is good.

I love photographing newborns, toddlers, kids (I've got two of my own), families, pets...you name it! Large groups and weddings make me way too nervous, but I'd be happy to refer you to other photographers in the area.

I love to hear your comments, so feel free to add to my blog by posting. Having a hard time remembering "umami?" Well, I wanted a name that would be easy to remember, spell and find, but apparently I did none of that, so if you'd like to get emails when I post, just add your email to the "subscribe here" box... you'll be the first to find out when I'll be offering mini sessions and other specials!

have a happy day... heather

5.24.2009

Happy Memorial Day!

Our little Jack's trying to recover from his cold in time for his birthday on Wednesday, and the rest of us are trying not to get sick. Grandma and Grandpa came to town, so we opened a few of his presents early and have been having fun relaxing around the house.

I just wanted to post a couple more photos I've been working on... here's Danielle, John and Mason. EXCITING NEWS! If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, you already know, and if you don't, go over and add me. :) Danielle invited me to come along with her maternity shoot with Nigel Barker from America's Next Top Model. Woo hoo!!! So I joined Danielle and another prego friend Alyssa on their photoshoots. Amazing! It was so eye opening to see how Nigel shoots and what his set up was like (studio backdrop set up in a backyard patio). I got to chat with him and his family (gorgeous and super friendly wife and 2 cutie pie kids) and the hair and makeup guys who made the mommies to be look even more radiant. I cannot wait to see how the photos come out since I'm sure the lighting set up will make them look so much more dramatic than what I got to see with the daylight.

Anyway, Happy Memorial Day! Thanks to all those protecting our country!




4 comments:

liz said...

Heather that's amazing! Love to hear more about your shoot with Nigel. (and of course your photos are gorgeous as usual!)

umami photography said...

Hey Liz!
Well, details... Nigel rented a house with his family near the beach. About 6 women came in and out to get their photos taken throughout the afternoon. One he said approached him at Whole Foods the day before just to say hi, when he noticed that she was pregnant... he asked if she would be up for some photos. The other women found out through word of mouth (he posted about it on his blog and I blabbed to my prego friends).

Hair and makeup guys... how cool. He had them wear robes too so that they wouldn't have any lines from their clothes (ah, saves in post processing).

The whole shoot lasted maybe 20 minutes or so. He took each woman into a kind of a studio he created in the small backyard...not like the fancy studio he has in NY I'm sure. My friend Danielle let me watch her session (thanks!!)... he gave her a posing suggestion and then would tell her to turn her head one way, look that way, okay, now put your head back a bit more... and he'd snap a few shots here and there. So unlike my spazziness shooting 2 year olds. lol. It was very relaxed and I think even Danielle felt at ease even though she was 38 weeks pregnant and naked.

Nigel was very passionate when talking about this book he wants to put together, but also very understanding to each woman's comfort level. All the photos are very tasteful...and I can't wait to see how he captures Danielle and Alyssa (especially Alyssa's awesome tatoos!).

liz said...

Wow how exciting! I can imagine its a world of difference shooting adults. I assume he was using a lighting setup?
Seriously though I have got to say how impressed I am with your work. Its always so fun and really exceptional!

umami photography said...

Yep, he had a studio set up... big black backdrop with lights on both sides... sorry, I didn't even pay attn to what types of lights they were... I think they were maybe long softboxes with grids...